Pages

Friday, July 18, 2014

Bugging out

Since moving to New York I have been inundated with new bugs. It's not an every day occurrence but I thought I'd seen my fair share of bugs in Washington but apparently I didn't know the half of it. 

I used to say, "Good night. Sleep tight. Don't let the bed bugs bite" to kids I babysat but then school closed early one day because a bed bug was found in a classroom. Knock on wood I've been spared but the reality of bed bugs has killed the sweetness of the rhyme for me.  


Then there is the cockroach. Everytime I see one I spend the next few days googling them and pest control methods. I've only seen a few, but according to the internet, "where there is one, there are hundreds..."

Ants invaded my kitchen on one of the first hot days of the summer and smacked on some fresh blueberry muffins before I drown them in cleaning solution. 


I'm at war with mosquitoes. They will not stop munching on me. The other day I doused myself in OFF but forgot my feet and came home with bug bite covered feet. Incidentally, maybe the worst place for bug bites. The military should do away with water boarding and just let mosquitoes snack on the feet of criminals...if I believed in torture that is. 

I live in fear that a tick will latch on to Humphrey (there have been a couple this far...all presumably killed by his flea/tick meds) or worse...me. 


But there are some cute bugs. I'm in awe whenever I see fireflies. They're not the prettiest bug but the bright green light they emit makes them ok in my book. 


And the today I saw this guy! What is it? Doesn't it belong in the desert somewhere next to a lamp just waiting to be rubbed? 

No comments:

Post a Comment