Pages

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Sign of Trouble: Vegetables star of Meal

J and I have been together 6ish months.  I would say I have probably gained at least a pound for every month that we've been dating.  Haha.  I don't mean to make it sound like I'm walking around going, "poor me"...my clothes all still fit, I'm fine, but it is an alarming trend should the relationship continue on this path.  You always hear about how people in relationships gain weight, and it's totally true.  Suddenly you're eating out, sharing desserts you wouldn't have eaten otherwise, getting drinks you probably wouldn't have had otherwise, and forget about working out!  You'd rather be sleeping in on a Saturday morning than going to work out.


Don't get me started on the number of pancakes I've consumed this year...

So, in an effort to get back into the swing of things I decided to cook on Friday night.  I love cooking, and I'm really not supposed to eat a bunch of gluten/corn/dairy...I'm one of those controversial "gluten intolerant" people that may or may not scientifically exist (my very real symptoms are a story for another day, but lets just say I can tell when I've been eating this gluten/corn/dairy cocktail) so cooking at home is always fun/easier.

Look how beautiful!

I decided to go with a nice baked salmon, lightly seasoned with salt/pepper and olive oil then topped with lemon and shallots along with baked green beans & mushrooms.  You basically drizzle with oil, salt/pepper, all on one foil/parchment lined baking sheet and pop it into an oven at 350 for 20ish mins...

I also made some wild rice...far less beautiful! My lids for my pots don't form a tight seal and the water always evaporates too fast so I have to Macguiver it.
 
Unfortunately it didn't taste as good as it looked.  :(  The salmon was ok, it could have used a little something extra.  Maybe some garlic?  Not sure.  It wasn't bad. 

The rice was seriously the most disgusting wild rice I've ever eaten.  I think it was just the brand though, I finally got the moisture ratio worked out thanks to some tin foil (pictured above), but it just had this weird flavor that neither J nor I were fans of. 

And then the veggies were the stars of the show.  You know it's trouble when simple green beans and mushrooms are the best part of the meal, and you practically fight over seconds on green beans.  

1 comment:

  1. I find dipping healthy food in ranch always does the trick ... lol.

    ReplyDelete