Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Meatless Monday: Loaded Veggie Tortilla Soup

It's official.  We're "New Year's Resolutioners!"  I always try to avoid becoming one of "them," like I was avoiding the plague.  I go around wearing an imaginary new year's resolution mask and gown to shield myself from the infection.  If asked, I proudly tell people that I have no new year's resolutions...by proudly, I mean semi-apologetically smugly.  This year, thanks to the inability to avoid far too many tastings of food and alcohol alike over the past month of vacation, I've been infected.  Something must be done.  

Bring round the "Meatless Monday" bandwagon so I can hop on...

This Monday I made this amazing soup I came across on Pinterest. I thought I might be sad that there wasn't chicken stock.   You should have seen me in the grocery aisle picking up the chicken stock, then putting it down in favor of veggie stock, then repeating the process a few more times before J joined me in the aisle and I was left with whatever I had in my hand...a stock hot potato if you will...I ended up with veggie stock.  The strange thing is, I didn't miss the chicken stock one bit.  If you're not going vegetarian, I'm sure it would be tasty with some chicken stock, and shredded chicken thrown in, but it's just as delectable all veggie all the time.

Loaded Veggie Tortilla Soup
*The author, Minimalist Baker (who btw has a ton of other great recipes) called it nacho soup, but I think it's more like tortilla soup than any nachos i've ever eaten.

Ingredients
  • 1 TBS olive oil
  • 1/2 large onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, diced
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp each sea salt and black peper
  • 1 can tomato paste
  • 2 1/2 C water
  • 2 C low sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 cup your favorite fresh, chunky salsa**
  • 1 4-oz can mild diced green chilis
  • 2 15-oz cans black beans, lightly drained
  • Optional toppings: tortilla chips, fresh onion, cilantro, avocado, grated cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, lime juice, etc. 
**I used a canned organic chunky salsa

Directions:
  1. Heat a large pot over medium heat. 
  2. Add olive oil, onion, garlic, and stir.  Cook for about 5 mins or until softened and transparent.  Turn down the heat if the garlic starts to brown. 
  3. Add salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder and stir to coat.  Then add tomato paste, water, veggie broth, salsa, green chilis and stir to combine.  Bring to a simmer, then add black beans.  Bring to a simmer again, reduce heat to low and cook for another 20-30 mins. 
  4. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more spices, salt or pepper.  Add hot sauce for more heat.  (I didn't adjust the seasonings at all, everything was spot on)
  5. Serve hot with tortilla chips, and optional toppings. 


No comments:

Post a Comment