Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2014

World Cup: The Brooklyn Brazilians

I almost forgot that the World Cup started today.  I knew it was starting soon, but for whatever reason didn't ever register the actual date, and then I walked out my door into a sea of yellow, and then one sad looking fellow with a red jersey (poor Croatia).

In any case, I'm so excited to follow the games, but also see the national pride in my neighborhood.  The street was filled with a pre-thunderstorm Brazilian contagious energy. 

One of the kids pictured walked past me earlier and as he did an elderly man said, "Ay Brazil!" and the pre-teen grinned and patted the logo on his chest with a nod. The cross-generational enthusiasm made me smile.

Speaking of smiling, it's closing in on a year since I've lived here, and longer than that since I had the dreaded dentist check-up.  I was already considering making this my dentist, but this World Cup score keeping may have sealed the deal.


I wonder if it will be Brazil all day, everyday (they seem to be the favorite anyway), or if each day I'll get to see new colors flooding the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment