Pages

Monday, December 8, 2014

I <3 NY (Weekend Edition)

I love NY, but some days I REALLY <3 NY! Saturday I spent an incredibly rainy day trying to accomplish some Christmas shopping with a friend. Of course we started with brunch...as is customary for all New Yorkers. We were talking about how brunch exists in other parts of the country but in New York it's an institution.

I tried to remember to snap some pics in between the rain drops...


One of my favorite things about New York is the art that you encounter when you take a minute and look. The entire city is like a gigantic canvas. This was from the sidewalk in front of Clinton Street Baking Co. I was craving their pancakes like crazy (maybe the best, ever) but they had a 2hr wait so we were standing in the rain googling brunch locations. Luckily in New York you're rarely more than a couple blocks max from a great brunch. 


I had this amazing Texas Toast French toast in orange blossom honey, covered in fresh fruit and whipped cream. I of course, also added a little pure maple syrup...when in Rome...


(Above) Outside the Duane Reade where I broke down and bought a new umbrella because I felt like a drowned rat. 

Finally we hit our breaking point and went to a movie, which conveniently was next to a Mexican restaurant where we indulged in Margaritas and a zillion calories. They look Christmassy though!


Then I headed over to Grand Central where a protest was taking place. Even with the mob of people, the police all hanging out, the holiday spirit was still in full force (below). 


I hit the magazine stand for some train reading


And then when I got home I took Humphrey for a walk, turned my new umbrella inside out, got soaking wet (again), then unsuccessfully tried to stay awake until J got home. 

Even though I spent most of the day in between drenched and just pruned, it was definitely an "I <3 NY" kind of day.

Sunday I headed out to brave the city shoppers, busy shoppers, dressed in holiday style...in the air there's a feeling of Christmas...but really there was, everyone was in a great mood. The only problem was there were lines everywhere. I think we were all just glad it stopped raining! It was gorgeous but oh so cold. 



After shopping I grabbed a quick bite in Chelsea then headed over to hang out with the Chelsea boys. 



We played on the roof for a while until one of the littles accidentally kicked a pipe and caused water to spurt out everywhere.  Once the panicked crying stopped (surprisingly not from me) we went in side to warm up and make gingerbread houses. I was really impressed by how long and hard they worked on them. They aren't known to have the longest attention spans in the world. 




After gingerbread mania, J picked me up from the train and I did a quick change in the car while he drove to some friends house so that I wouldn't be covered in icing when we got there.
("Don't get pulled over, I don't have pants on.") We had a nice quiet evening with some pizza, a Seahawks win, and I got to snuggle with their adorable little baby.  I may not have wanted to give him back when it was time to leave.

All and all a pretty great weekend. 

I'm linking up here, here for some more weekending!

1 comment:

  1. The kids did so good on the gingerbread houses! It sounds like you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete