Pages

Sunday, November 23, 2014

The Shortest Ryan Adams Fan in New York City

I think I first saw Ryan Adams perform in 2000, and I've been obsessed ever since.  There have been albums that are my favorite, and ones I love less, but if I can physically make it, I will go to his show anytime he's in the same town as me.  One year I fractured my ankle the morning of the show, and kept trying to convince my parents that I could still go.  I love bringing new people with me, usually a risky move, but his music is so eclectic, and his sense of humor so smart, that there is something for everyone.

This time J got to be my date, and I could tell he wasn't sure about it.  J has this weird musical preference of like classic rock, and metal.  The newer less stuff and/or non-metal stuff he's not super familiar with.  Lucky for him, Ryan Adams is a metal guy, too.   There were plenty of obscure metal references for him, and he's been telling me all day today that he had a good time.  It feels like he's overcompensating for his groggy reception on the train ride home.  The train was sooooo slow last night, it's terrible when there is construction and so there are speed limits, but that's a different story for a different day.

Back to Ryan Adams, my favorite....






The show was great! It was such a good mix of old stuff and new stuff.  One of my favorite things about seeing him live, is that he has such a huge catalog of songs you never know what the set-list will be.  Last night he played a bunch of songs that I've never heard him play live, including one of my favorites, "I see Monsters." I'm not sure I've ever heard him do it live before so I played it cool, and freaked out inside.  Here's a video that I didn't take.  We had general admission (cheaper) tickets that were hypothetically closer to the stage than this person, but I could barely see most of the show.  Thank goodness I love his music, and not just his shaggy hair.

Before the show J was asking what I thought the percentage of guys to girls would be.  He assumed (incorrectly) that it was was a chick show, and the only guys there would be dragged by their girlfriends.  I think there were definitely more guys there than girls, but what would have been a better wager, is the percentage of people there over 6'.  I swear every giant in NYC came out for the show and so I spent most of it staring at the back of heads! 



No comments:

Post a Comment